Lucille Ball said:
“If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it. The more things you do, the more you can do.”
And it’s true…but at what cost?
We’re building a life here, not just a business. I don’t want to be known as a busy person
Yet, I noticed the other day that, more and more, I hear the words from my friends and family “I know you’re busy…”
“Is that it? Is that who I want to be?” I asked my Self.
And the answer is…”No…not so much.”
You may ask yourself what the hell does that have to do with running a business? And I will tell you this…
It has everything to do with running a business
Are you so busy making a living that you forget the make a life?
If you are happy being that way, that is wonderful and more power to you…the world needs people like you.
But, if you’re not, if you would rather find that elusive work/life balance Then here are your tools for doing so:
First…Hire a VA…had to say it…I can’t go thru this blog without saying it 😉
But really and truly, if you are looking for that balance, here’s what to do
- Meditate – Meditation has done wonders in helping me to focus. I highly recommend the Calm app. It’s free as well as paid. There’s enough good stuff in the free part to keep it that way. I’m experimenting with the paid and it’s really, really good too. If you’re looking to start a steady practice, this is the way to go. It keeps a calendar of your sessions and even reminds you to breathe!
- Rest – I had a mentor coach tell me once, “Rest Is part of my business plan”. You have to. Take a break. If you’re pushing against something, get up, walk away and come back to it. If you think you have taken too much rest…give yourself another 5 minutes Schedule yourself a lunch or an afternoon or morning off. You need to be fresh for the MOUNTAIN of things you do already.
- Follow your Joy – Seriously…don’t do shit you hate. Follow your joy! Have a passion! If you can afford it, hire somebody to do the stuff you hate to do, if not, break it into chunks and/or do it at the beginning of your day…it’s called “eating the frog”… Mark Twain once said “If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the biggest one first.”
- Don’t let “perfect” get in the way of good enough. I am shaking my head at this one. I am a perfectionist by nature, well part of me is. And that part can be brutal. Sometimes, it’s ok to remember that your 85% is like most people’s 100%. As a Super-Achiever, it is really ok to hold back 15% of your energy. Save it for when it’s really needed.
- Feel your feelings – If your brain is in overdrive, if you are feeling overwhelmed it’s a sure sign that you have missed a feeling or two along the way. Humans are emotion processing machines and if you stuff down your feelings, your body is going to have to deal with it. At some point the bill will come due. Use your feelings as a barometer that something is off. Locate it, address it…and move on. Remember to keep your vision pointed forward because that is where you going. Holding on to the past only keeps you stuck there.
- Put the phone down, turn the computer off. Scott and I literally spend the entire day and night with each other, It’s not uncommon for us to start work in the office, take a break, talk about a social media strategy for a client, go back to the office and work on it, take dinner, talk about another client proposal, or plans for the future expansion. At some point, we’ve learned, we have to turn it off. I’ve learned to pay attention when he is speaking to me, and I put my phone down, face down in do not disturb mode and focus on him. He’s learned to turn off the computer and call it a day. Then go do something fun…and non business related.
- Step back – I call this the Nose to the Grindstone pitfall. It’s when you have your nose right up against the grindstone and you can’t see anything else. Take your hand…put it up against your nose. You can’t see the details; you miss the fine lines, the beauty that is your hand. You have to learn to look at your life from 1000 feet up. See how things intertwine and relate. Know that you are moving towards your destiny. It really IS happening. How you think; whether your thoughts are clear or cloudy will affect the ebb and flow of events.
Remember you can’t give from an empty well, yes, it is your passion, and yes you are the best at what you do…we know! And…it really is ok to find that work life balance, breathe and take really…really good care of yourself!